Monday, January 3, 2011

Leftover Turkey Surprise Pie

Wondering what to do with your leftover turkey from the holidays?  Well I've got something for you to try or maybe inspire you to make your own creation.  I had a bunch of leftover turkey from when we celebrated Thanksgiving here in England and decided to do something different with it.   I recently made a wild game pie which was delicious and thought why not do that with the turkey as well.  I looked at a few recipes online but nothing really caught my eye so I thought to myself "what goes good with turkey and in a pie".  So this is my own creation which turned out really good.  *Gave myself a pat on the back* 


Here is what went in my leftover turkey surprise pie - 
1 carrot chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
.5 onion chopped
1 leek sliced
few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves removed
button mushrooms sliced or chopped or how ever you like them and up to you how many - I used what I had so about 6
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (They even have Cambell's Soup here - bonus!)
About 300mL of vegetable or chicken stock (look online for the conversion since that's what I always have to do)
1lb of leftover turkey chopped
1 head of brocooli
2 pie crusts - store bought or home made (I only bought 1 pie crust because I thought 2 came in the 1 package.  So I just made my own - butter, flour and ice water - just google a recipe, it's easy)
shredded cheddar cheese (optional) - Sounded good to me so why the hell not.
 
In a pot on the stove (or hob is what they call it here), pour a couple glugs of extra virgin olive oil.  Put in the onions, celery, carrots, fresh thyme and leek and let those cook for a few minutes to release all the wonderful flavors.  Then add the turkey, stock, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup and broccoli.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 15 minutes or so letting the flavors merry together. 

Once that thickens up a bit it is now ready to assemble.  I used a deep style dish but you could easily use a regular pie pan, you'd just have a lot of excess filling though.  So place one of the pie crusts into the bottom of the dish.  Start spooning the turkey filling, once you have a couple spoonfuls in, add some shredded cheddar cheese and then repeat this process a few times making sure to not go above the pie crust.  Mine was a little to liquidy so next time I might add as much when transferring to the pie.  Once you have it filled to the max and are happy, place the other pie crust on top making sure to tuck in the edges close to the bottom crust.  Cut a few slits in the crust or a hole in the center to let off some steam.  Just like Arnold said in the classic 80's movie Commando - "Let of some steam Bennett"

No comments:

Post a Comment